What is the purpose of the Au Courant Communications blog?
Newmediafolio.WordPress.com, as the URL suggests, is my new media portfolio. Included are projects from course New Media for Technical Communication. This ever-growing portfolio will include relevant essays on the topic of new media as well as an illustrated procedure and screencast.
Projects, herein, are excogitative applications of three subtopics:
- New Media and Society
- New Media Content and Culture
- Using New Media for Communication and Control
Why is focus given to new media?
As a Public Health worker, I have used new media to assemble, enhance, and disseminate brochures, fliers, YouTube public service announcements, PowerPoint presentations, and all sorts of health education materials. New media, in Public Health, is essential for data collection, manipulation, and analysis. Moreover, it helps professionals to quickly package and deliver important health information to large populations in effort to control disease and reduce injury.
- how did you first hear about a recent infectious disease outbreak (e.g. Zika, Ebola, seasonal flu, etc.)
- how did you hear about a recent product recall (e.g. a toy, car part, food product, etc.)
- have you received Amber Alerts to your mobile phone
- how are you made aware of new traffic laws
These are all matters of public health and safety aided by the use of new media and, in large part, my reason for studying technical communications. If you have questions about new media in public health, please leave them below or contact me. ∎∎∎
- Da Silva Azevedo, I. (n.d.). Vector illustration of a street in New York City at night [stock image]. Retrieved from http://www.123RF.com
- Stewart, J. (Spring 2017). New Media for Technical Communication [Syllabus]. Tampa, FL: English Department, University of South Florida.
- Kudryashka. (n.d.). City sketch [stock image]. Retrieved from http://www.123RF.com
- Amer, Selman. (Year). Web search [stock image]. Retrieved from http://www.123RF.com